Bow Valley is proud to recognize our volunteers who put in countless hours each season. Our volunteers are the backbone of our Society, and it is their time and dedication that makes our Society a success year after year. Please take the time to nominate a coach or volunteer that went above and beyond in their roles for the 2019-2020 Season.
The Deadline to submit a nomination is March 15, 2021
2019-2020 Award Recipients
Shane Zimmer Memorial Coach of the Year
Timbits: Dallas Longshore
Novice: Josh Rikihani
Atom: Russell Lapp
PW: Cory Redwood
Bantam: John Armstrong
Midget: Rod Sieker
Volunteer of the Year
Tessa Harris, Scott Duesing, and Karla Forster
Official Recognition Award
Past Award Recipients
BVHS Awards Past Recipients
Please read over the past recipients prior to submitting nominations for the current season.
"A volunteer’s personal passion for the group's mission is contagious and it motivates." By John M. Knibb
This award is to signify the amount of time and attention it takes to be the Bow Valley Hockey Society President.
BVHS Lifetime Member Award
The Bow Valley Hockey Society will consider past or retiring members of Bow Valley Hockey Society for nomination to the distinction of Lifetime Member. Eligible members include: players, coaches, manager, officials, executive members, or members who have served in other volunteer capacities.
Past or present members of the Bow Valley Hockey Society who have made a substantial contribution to the Bow Valley Hockey Society during the time of their membership. Such a contribution would consist of activities such as:
- Continued involvement past the time they, or their children, played in BVHS
- Excellence in achievement in a hockey-related venture
- A unique or noteworthy contribution
- Contributing a substantial amount of time to a broad range of activities, improving the reputation of the Bow Valley Hockey Society, or the development of a lasting legacy
- Those nominated as Lifetime Members will have demonstrated a lasting and ongoing interest and involvement in the long-term success of the Bow Valley Hockey Society.
The BVHS Board of Directors will generate and update a list of potential candidates that may be worthy of this award. Prior to each AGM, the Executive Committee will recommend names as recipients to the Board of Directors. Award recipients will be named at the BVHS AGM.
BVHS Leadership Award
The BVHS Leadership Award is awarded to a BVHS Board Member who goes well beyond what is expected within their board level duties. This award acknowledges a Board Member for their outstanding contributions to Bow Valley Hockey Society. These individuals have spent 2 or more years on Bow Valley Hockey Society Board of Directors in one or more capacities during their tenure.
- This individual has been on the BVHS Board of Directors for 2 or more years.
- This individual was influential in making decisions regarding the BVHS Strategic plan and board level decisions.
- This individual played a significant role in developing the structure and policies within BVHS and he or she ensured these policies were carried out when issues arouse.
BVHS Official Recognition Award
The BVHS Official Recognition Award is given to an official who exemplifies a passion for Officiating. The recipient is selected based on their dedication to the game as well as performance on ice. The BVHS officials are the unsung heroes of the game, and it is their time, efforts and dedication that make them pivotal members of the game. The BVHS Shadow Coordinators are responsible for selecting the recipient of each year’s award.
- Recipient attended required certification and mentorship sessions.
- The recipient was also available to pick up games last minute.
- The Referee Coordinator received positive feedback regarding the games that the recipient did throughout the current season.
BVHS Leadership Award
BVHS Volunteer Achievement Award
The BVHS Volunteer Achievement Award is awarded to a volunteer who goes over and above their designated duties. This individual exemplifies what volunteerism is all about. Three recipients will be selected each year by the President, VP of On Ice, VP of Off Ice, MHO and the Office Administrator. This award recognizes volunteers who have made a difference in the BV Community through volunteerism.
- The Volunteer exemplifies a volunteer spirit and is always willing to help out.
- This individual helps out during hockey season and goes well beyond what is expected of a BVHS Volunteer.
- This individual is well organized and is respected among his or her peer group for the exceptional work that he or she does.
Deadline to submit a nomination is March 15, 2020.
BVHS Shane Zimmer Memorial Coach of the Year Award
As a coach Shane Zimmer lead by example and brought life lessons into every aspect of the game, and if you asked any of his players they would tell you that he valued effort over anything else, in hockey, in school, and in life. For Shane it was never about the level of play, but the level of effort. Shane’s reason for coaching was always to share his knowledge, passion, and love of the game. Shane was the epitome of a great coach and he truly believed the biggest part of coaching and life was about the memories you make.
Do you feel that your coach has gone over and above expectations and deserves to be recognized for the time and efforts they have contributed this past season? Did your coach create memories for your child that will last a lifetime?
If so, nominate him or her for the BVHS Shane Zimmer Memorial Coach of the Year Award. We take pride in the high caliber coaches we have, and we feel they should be recognized for their contributions to the game and more importantly to Bow Valley Hockey Society. Our coaches play integral roles in making citizens out of our players, and they help shape the character of each of our players.
Nominations may be submitted by a parent, player or manager. Nominations are to be submitted through the online form.
Please be as detailed as possible as this award will not be awarded based on winning records. It is based on player development, passion for the game, compliance to Fair Play codes, off-ice leadership, years of service as a coach, self-development as a coach, and feedback from the BV age group coordinators.
- Embraces fair play while maintaining a competitive spirit.
- Promotes good sportsmanship, citizenship and team spirit. This was demonstrated by the team’s actions in games and by involving the team in the community. The coach provided a good culture for the players of the team to develop their hockey skills/abilities while developing their character in a positive manner.
- Demonstrates a respect for the game of hockey. Shows and teaches respect for the game, officials, fellow coaches, parents and players.
- Demonstrated a commitment to improving the game of hockey within BVHS. By attending coach education clinics, embracing the BVHS mentorship program and reaching out to other teams within Bow Valley in a mentoring capacity.
- Shows and shares their passion for hockey while demonstrating leadership to their players. Able to teach, instruct and motivate players in a positive manner.
- By the end of the season, players demonstrated significant improvement in their hockey skills and abilities. This was demonstrated and supported by each players continuous improvement in skills testing and game play.
- Players are excited and wanting to come back to take part in hockey for the following season.
Deadline to submit a nomination is March 15, 2020.